History

Founding

The original Oxford Boys’ Club Trust was formed in 1958, and the following year the disused St. Luke’s Hall was purchased – “The best church hall in Middlesex” (at the time!).  The first warden, Andy Pierssene, recruited local young people and helpers from nearby churches to carry out the significant refurbishment required.  The Club opened officially in Autumn 1961.

Early Years

stockcar
The OK Club stock car

The early club had a full-time warden, but was otherwise staffed by volunteers.  Trips were arranged to Wales (rent-free, in exchange for the installation of windows), Oxford, (by home-made canoe); and Yugoslavia.  Teams entered football, table tennis and cycling competitions.  Despite the name, various activities for girls were started.  There was even a club stock car!  ‘Epilogue’ sessions after Clubs allowed young people the space for discussion and questioning about faith and much else.

 

This is a (very) abridged version of The OK Story, by Brian Stansfield, John Kinder and many others, telling the story until 2006.  You can download it (pdf, 4MB).